Thursday, October 10, 2024

Patrick Bringley, All the Beauty in the World ****

Bringley worked for a decade as a guard at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He took the job as a form of therapy after the death of his brother. "Could there really be this loophole by which I could drop out of the forward-marching world and spend all day tarrying in an entirely beautiful one?"

All the Beauty in the World offers sketches of the art treasures in the Met and the day-to-day work of its guards. It captures the contemplative balm that Bringley sought without becoming too metaphysical or pretentious. The author responds to art emotionally even as he learns about the artists. The vast range of art in the Met hints at the breadth of human experience, as does the diversity of the guard staff; the insider's details about the job ground it all in daily life.

It sure made me long for an unhurried visit to an art museum!

I experienced the great beauty of the picture even as I had no idea what to do with that beauty. I couldn't discharge the feeling by talking about it––there was nothing much to say. What was beautiful in the painting was not like words, it was like paint––silent, direct, and concrete, resisting translation even into thought. As such, my response to the picture was trapped inside me, a bird fluttering in my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment